The Genetic Counseling Internship allows graduate students in genetic counseling an opportunity to gain important clinical experience. Students are exposed to a variety of counseling experiences and are able to attend case conferences, journal club, Medical Grand Rounds and other teaching opportunities available during the rotation. Students also are able to pursue or initiate research interests in genetic counseling.
During the internship, learning experiences allow the intern to:
- Experience a variety of genetic counseling sessions with a certified genetic counselor
- Enhance interests in genetics through the continuation of a student's thesis project
- Participate in selected genetic counseling cases
- Assist a genetic counselor with clinic activities
Genetic counseling interns have the opportunity to observe these types of genetic counseling cases:
- Predictive testing for adult-onset disorders
- Hereditary cancer syndromes
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences uses evaluative tools that include:
- Demonstration of skills
- Self-assessment exercises
- Faculty reviews
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.