Exercise Science Internship Program (Florida)
Students enrolled in an exercise science program at an accredited college or university have the option to complete their clinical rotations at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. Our exercise specialist internship program supports the Mayo mission by providing an educational opportunity in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation to students majoring in health science, exercise physiology, kinesiology, human physiology and cardiac rehabilitation. The program's purpose is to provide students with learning experiences in a clinical setting by applying knowledge learned in the academic setting.
During the Exercise Science Internship at Mayo Clinic, students will:
- Participate in observation and supervision of cardiopulmonary rehabilitation sessions
- Observe and participate in the new-patient assessment process
- Participate in weekly team conferences and exercise prescription updates
- Accurately measure vital signs at rest and during exercise
- Evaluate abnormal response to exercise and understand how to adjust exercise prescription
- Attend and teach patient education classes
- Understand how to establish an exercise prescription for specific cardiac and pulmonary diagnoses
- Develop individualized home exercise program prescriptions
- Understand the importance of blood glucose response to exercise in diabetic patients
- Understand exercise testing modalities and protocols
- Learn basic ECG monitoring skills
- Complete university and cardiopulmonary rehabilitation program requirements, including logbooks, case studies and special projects
- Observe and understand the role of the physical therapist in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Participate in Mayo Clinic and community educational opportunities
- Observe and participate in the cardiovascular fitness evaluation process
Mayo Clinic Florida's Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
Mayo Foundation is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission.
Higher Learning Commission
30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60602-2504
Fax: (312) 263-7462
To participate in Mayo School of Health Sciences' Exercise Science Clinical Rotation, you must be in your final year of an exercise science program at your academic institution.
Mayo Clinic's Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Department is a clinic-based outpatient program. Mayo Clinic Florida was established in 1986 as a comprehensive medical facility in the southeastern United States, where advanced programs in education and research support the highest-quality patient care.
Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., was established in 1986 as a comprehensive medical facility in the southeastern United States, where advanced programs in education and research support the highest-quality patient care.
Campus activity is centered around the Mayo Clinic hospital and interconnected Davis, Mayo and Cannaday buildings. The ambulatory facilities provide clinical services ranging from primary to specialty care, and advanced procedural facilities.
The inpatient facility, Mayo Clinic hospital, has 214 beds and provides comprehensive clinical services, including surgical and medical intensive care units, specialized solid-organ transplant units, and advanced cardiac and neurosurgery facilities.
The state-of-the-art Birdsall Medical Research Building is a center for neurological disease research. The Griffin Cancer Research Building was completed in 2001 to support oncology research.
Program hours will vary based on university requirements.
Each semester, Mayo School of Health Sciences admits one student to its Exercise Science Internship Program at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. This ensures you will receive close one-on-one instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.