All prerequisite course work needs to be completed before the program start date with C grades or higher.
Bachelor's degree options
Rochester, Minn., students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions (BSHP) degree option should review the University of Minnesota Rochester (UMR) admission requirements. BSHP students will be jointly admitted to UMR and Mayo School of Health Sciences. Students pursuing the BSHP option must complete all courses listed under the prerequisites section and must also complete general psychology, general chemistry, microbiology with a lab and statistics.
Students pursuing the bachelor's degree through St. Mary's University of Minnesota (SMUMN) should review the SMUMN admission requirements. Bachelor's degree students are jointly admitted to SMUMN and Mayo School of Health Sciences.
Students pursuing the certificate option should refer to these prerequisite requirements:
||A minimum of one semester of college algebra is required; a higher level math course also satisfies this requirement.
|Anatomy and physiology with lab
||A minimum of two semesters of college-level anatomy and physiology with a lab are required (virtual or online labs are not accepted).
|Speech or public speaking
||A minimum of one semester of college-level speech or public speaking is required.
||A minimum of one semester of college-level English is required; two semesters is preferred.
||One medical terminology course is required; it must be an official academic course resulting in a grade on a school transcript. Courses are available from community and technical colleges or online.
|Medical ethics or ethics
||A minimum of one semester of college-level medical ethics (preferred) or ethics is required.
|Physics with lab
||A minimum of one semester of college-level introductory physics with a lab is required (virtual or online labs are not accepted).
|Certified nursing assistant course or other health care certification, licensure or registry
||These certifications meet the prerequisite requirements for patient care. An active certification or registry is not required.
- Certified nursing assistant (C.N.A.)
- Registered medical assistant (R.M.A.)
- Registered nurse (R.N.)
- Licensed practical nurse (L.P.N.)
- Certified EMT
- Respiratory therapist
- Radiologic technologist R.T.(R) or senior radiography student
You will be most competitive if you have:
- A GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale, including courses in mathematics and sciences
- An ACT composite score of 20 or higher
- Previous experience caring for patients
- Observed echocardiographic procedures
- Prerequisite course work that is less than 10 years old
- A bachelor's degree or are enrolled in an affiliated bachelor's degree program
- No more than two courses in progress at the time of interviews (mid-March)
See the Mayo School of Health Sciences international applicants policy.
Candidates must meet the technical standards (with or without reasonable accommodation) necessary to acquire or demonstrate competence in health professions as outlined in the Echocardiography Program technical standards document.
A summary of required abilities includes:
- Sufficient motor functions to perform basic life support, transfer and position patients, and position and operate health care and imaging equipment, as well as the capability to manipulate multiple objects simultaneously
- Sufficient sensory and observation abilities in order to differentiate subtle variations in color, shape and texture; observe patients from a distance or close at hand; hear audio and see visual alarms; and read various forms of documentation
- The ability to read and comprehend written instructions and documents independently
Applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the profession and meet the standards of the curriculum. To seek exceptions to these standards or reasonable accommodations, students accepted for admission must initiate a request with the program director at least six weeks before the program begins.
See further Mayo School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.