Eight candidates are selected each year for the Dietetics Internship on a competitive basis. The program begins the first week in October.
How to apply
Mayo Clinic Dietetic Internship participates in the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Services (DICAS). For more information, email DICASinfo@DICAS.org. A nonrefundable $25 application fee (check payable to Mayo Clinic) must be sent to:
- Dietetic Internship Program
Dietetics Department, JO MN-98
Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus
1216 Second St. SW
Rochester, MN 55902
- Online application. The online application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. CST on Feb. 15, 2014. The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
Supporting documentation. Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
- DICAS — Transcript Department
- P.O. Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
The DICAS application to internships requires completion of a personal statement in 1,000 words or less. Items to be addressed include:
- Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
- Discuss experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement?
Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation:
- Two from instructors of courses you took in nutrition or dietetics
- One from an employer who supervised your paid or volunteer work
When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an email address) for each reference. This triggers an email message requesting completion of a reference form. The form is completed online.
Match registration and interviews. Appointments to the Dietetics Internship are made through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics computerized Internship Match. All candidates must register through D & D Digital to participate in the April match.
D & D Digital must receive your registration by the deadline to compete in the match. Refer to its website for the exact dates. To register for a match, visit the D & D Digital website.
Send match registration materials and the $50 computer-matching fee via certified mail with return receipt requested to:
- D & D Digital
- 304 Main St., Suite 301
Ames, IA 50010-6148
- Phone: 515-292-0490
- Fax: 515-663-9427
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews. Completed applications are evaluated by a Mayo Clinic selection committee, which determines whether Mayo's application criteria have been met.
If you are considered for an appointment, a member of Mayo Clinic's internship committee contacts you for a telephone interview. An interview is not arranged until your application file is complete. Interviews last approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Acceptance. Applicant matching results are posted on the D & D Digital website on the notification day. You must telephone, email or fax the Dietetics Internship program director on or before 5 p.m. CST of the appointment day to confirm acceptance of the match. Please refer to the D & D Digital website for the exact dates.