Eight candidates are selected each year on a competitive basis for the Dietetic Internship. The program begins the first week in October.
How to apply
The Mayo Clinic Dietetic Internship participates in the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Services (DICAS). For more information, email DICASinfo@DICAS.org.
A nonrefundable $25 application fee (check made payable to Mayo Clinic) must be sent to:
- Dietetic Internship
- Dietetics Department
Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus
Joseph Building MN-98
1216 Second St. SW
Rochester, MN 55902
- Online application. The online application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central time on Feb. 15, 2017. The fee to use DICAS is $45 for the first application submitted and $20 for each additional application.
Supporting documentation. Complete the following:
- Transcripts. Official transcripts from every U.S. and Canadian institution attended should be sent directly from the university to DICAS. Transcript request forms can be found on the DICAS website.
- Personal statement. The DICAS application to the internship requires completion of a personal statement in 1,000 words or fewer. Items to be addressed include:
- Reasons for entering the dietetics profession
- Experiences that have helped to prepare you for your career
- Short-term and long-term goals
- Strengths and weaknesses or areas needing improvement
- Other information you consider important for the selection decision
- Letters of recommendation. Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation:
- Two from instructors of courses in nutrition or dietetics
- One from an employer who supervised paid or volunteer work
The DICAS service allows you to request letters from your recommenders, who will then upload their letters directly to the service.
Our program does not require supplemental materials.
Match registration and interviews. Appointments to the Dietetic Internship are made through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics computerized internship match. All candidates must register online through D&D Digital, pay the $55 computer match fee by credit card, and enter their contact information and dietetic internship preferences by the deadline to compete in the April match.
Refer to the D&D Digital website for the exact dates and to register for a match:
Interviews. Completed applications are evaluated by a Mayo Clinic internship selection committee, which determines whether Mayo's application criteria have been met.
Candidates considered for an appointment are contacted to schedule a telephone interview with a member of Mayo Clinic's internship selection committee. Interviews last approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Acceptance. Applicant matching results are posted on the D&D Digital website on the notification day. You must telephone or email the Dietetic Internship program director by 6 p.m. Central time of the appointment day to accept or reject the computer match. Please refer to the D&D Digital website for the exact dates.