Dietetic Internship (Minnesota)
Mayo School of Health Sciences offers an 11-month Dietetic Internship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, that provides comprehensive clinical knowledge and skills that enable practitioners to deliver complete nutrition services.
This internship's mission is to provide high-quality training that prepares graduates to enter the field as competent entry-level practitioners who participate in professional activities and have expertise in medical nutrition therapy.
The Dietetic Internship has an emphasis on medical nutrition therapy due to the high acuity level and complexity of care required by our patient population.
Prepare competent entry-level practitioners who can practice in a variety of positions.
- Over a five-year period, the pass rate for Dietetic Internship graduates taking the registration examination for the first time will be at least 85 percent.
- Eighty-five percent of interns will complete all program requirements within 150 percent of the time planned for completion (17 months).
- Over a five-year period, 70 percent or more of Dietetic Internship graduates who seek employment in dietetics will be employed within 12 months of program completion.
- Over a five-year period, at least 80 percent of employers will rank graduates as well-prepared for their first professional position.
Prepare dietitians with knowledge and skills in medical nutrition therapy.
- Over a five-year period, at least 80 percent of employers of graduates in entry-level clinical dietitian positions will rank graduates as competent.
- Over a five-year period, at least 80 percent of graduates in entry-level clinical dietitian positions will rank themselves as competent.
Prepare graduates who recognize the need to continue their education and participate in professional and community organizations.
- Each intern will attend a minimum of three local dietetic association meetings or continuing education opportunities during the program.
- Over a five-year period, at least 80 percent of graduates will continue their education and/or be involved in one or more professional or community organization.
Gainful employment disclosure report
The Department of Education requires disclosure of student debt and employment information to assist students in making informed decisions prior to enrolling in this education program.
The Dietetic Internship is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities.
This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Primarily, education for this internship is conducted at Mayo Clinic Hospital, Saint Marys Campus, a 1,265-bed facility that was founded in 1889. Within the Saint Marys Campus is the 85-bed Mayo Eugenio Litta Children's Hospital. Interns also have rotations at Mayo Clinic outpatient facilities and Mayo Clinic Hospital, Methodist Campus.
Graduation and certification
Upon successful completion of the 1,604 supervised practice hours, interns receive a certificate of completion from Mayo School of Health Sciences and a verification statement that allows them to take the professional registration exam administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
For the majority of the internship, the learning schedule includes eight-hour days, five days a week. While the regular workweek is usually 40 hours, additional projects and homework are assigned.
The program is a full-time commitment for class and clinical work. Interns work primarily weekdays. However, they may be required to work three to four weekends and holidays throughout the year as established for learning experiences. Hours vary depending on the work experience.
No credit is given for previous work experience.
Each year, Mayo School of Health Sciences admits eight students to its Dietetic Internship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester. This ensures close one-on-one instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.