The Child Life Specialist Internship is offered once a year. Applications are accepted from March 5 to May 5 for the fall semester. Two interns are selected based on applications and interviews.
Applicants may arrange to visit with Child Life faculty to learn more about the Child Life Program at Mayo Clinic and internship responsibilities.
How to apply
- Online application. Complete the online Application for Admission.
Interviews. Interviews are held for internship positions. Applicants with incomplete applications are not considered for interviews. The Child Life Specialist Internship director, along with Child Life Program staff, review applications and select students for interviews based on these criteria:
- Academics (such as child life core courses, related courses and electives)
- A completed application with all requested materials (application, resume, three letters of recommendation, a personal goal statement and an academic transcript)
- An interest primarily in helping children and families (more so than long-term care or community-based child life)
- Volunteer and work-related experiences with children, especially children with special health care needs
- Letters of recommendation that document skills helpful in organization, leadership, communication, documentation and child life
- Acceptance. When selected applicant interviews are completed, reviewed and ranked, two internship positions are offered for the fall semester.