The Cardiovascular Technology Internship prepares individuals for professional practice in a hospital, clinic, physician's office or mobile diagnostic unit.
During this program, learning experiences allow the intern to:
- Gain exposure to cardiac catheterization procedures and interventions, with hands-on training and didactic instruction
- Understand the dynamics and workflow of a Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
- Demonstrate knowledge of procedures performed in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, including left and right heart catheterizations, heart biopsies, and interventional procedures
- Become familiar with equipment used in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, including Hemochron unit for activated clotting times (ACT), Avoximeter unit for O2 saturations, Medrad contrast injector, intra-aortic balloon pump unit, AngioJet thrombectomy system, Radi pressure wire system, intravascular or intra-coronary ultrasound, biphasic defibrillation units, and additional equipment needed to perform a procedure
- Develop the confidence and knowledge needed to take the Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS) exam offered by Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
- Observe and understand the pre- and post-procedure care given to the cardiovascular patient
- Understand and have respect for the patient's needs and rights before, during, and after a cardiac catheterization procedure
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to function as a circulator, recorder and scrub assistant
- Gain further understanding of the skills necessary to work as a competent cardiovascular technologist
Grading or evaluation
Mayo School of Health Sciences uses these evaluative tools:
- Written examination
- Demonstration of skills
- Self-assessment exercises
- Faculty reviews
Mayo's system of evaluation provides students and faculty with a comprehensive look at individual performance. This allows faculty and administrative staff to direct students who are experiencing academic difficulty to the appropriate support resources, including tutoring programs and counseling opportunities.
Mayo School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.