Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (Minnesota)
The Mayo School of Health Sciences (MSHS) at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., offers a 21-month Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program (CVIS) in cooperation with Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC).
The CVIS program will give you the technical skills and competence to assist physicians in performing diagnostic and therapeutic invasive cardiology procedures.
Areas of study
- Cardiovascular anatomy and physiology and cardiovascular pathophysiology concentrate on the structures, functions and disease processes of the heart.
- Angiography and interventional cardiology concentrate on the coronary anatomy and treatment(s) for diseases of the heart.
- Electrophysiology and cardiac pacing concentrate on the cardiac electrical system and its diagnosis and treatment(s).
- Advanced cardiac assessments (i.e., hemodynamics, coronary physiology, cardiac valve study, congenital heart disease) concentrate on in-depth cardiovascular anatomical and physiological data.
- Instrumentation, electronics and X-ray basics concentrate on the radiation and electrical processing and safety in the clinical cardiovascular laboratory setting.
Mayo Foundation is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Higher Learning Commission.
- Higher Learning Commission
30 N. LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60602-2504
- Phone (toll-free): 800-621-7440
- Phone: 312-263-0456
- Fax: 312-263-7462
The Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program will apply for accreditation with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
The curriculum for the Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program is taught in cooperation with Rochester Community and Technical College. The program requires full-time attendance.
For the first two semesters of the program you'll take classes at Rochester Community and Technical College.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., comprises an extensive outpatient complex, two hospitals, and research and education facilities. It is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Mayo Clinic's Cardiac Laboratory contains the most advanced diagnostic and interventional cardiovascular equipment. As a CVIS program student, you will actively participate in procedures and treatment modalities using this equipment.
Graduation and certification
Upon graduating from the Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Mayo School of Health Sciences and an Associate of Applied Science Degree from Rochester Community and Technical College.
For the majority of the classroom instruction and clinical rotations, your learning schedule will include eight-hour days, five days per week.
Each year, Mayo School of Health Sciences admits 4-6 students to its Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program. Therefore, clinical training groups are small with one-on-one instruction provided. Class sizes at Rochester Community and Technical College vary by semester.