Candidates for the Mayo Clinic Visiting Medical Student Clerkship Program:
- are in their final year of medical school at the time of the clerkship
- are in good academic standing at their medical school
- must have completed approximately 48 weeks of actual patient care clinical experiences prior to the start of their clerkship as follows: eight weeks each of Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology and Surgery; and 20 weeks of electives. (Verification by your medical school is required.)
- have received the required immunizations
In addition to the above requirements, international students must have:
- passed the USMLE Step 1 examination
- personal health insurance coverage
- demonstrated fluency in English. Successful completion of the TOEFL examination within the last two years if the method of instruction at the home medical school is not English.
- International medical students applying to Mayo Clinic Jacksonville must have their medical school contact the Florida Commission for Independent Education.Students must pass USMLE Step II prior to their clerkship if their medical school does not have accreditation in the state of Florida.
Each year, the Visiting Medical Student Clerkship Program receives more than 700 applications for approximately 400 elective clerkship positions. Selection is based on medical school transcript grades, USMLE Step 1 score, space availability, and competitiveness for a Mayo residency.