Visiting Medical Student Clerkships
Mayo's mission is to provide the highest-quality compassionate patient care through a physician-led team of people working together in clinical practice, education and research in a unified multi-campus system.
The Visiting Medical Student Clerkship Program offers students a broad array of elective clinical rotations that foster growth of medical knowledge through direct patient-care experiences.
The Visiting Medical Student Clerkship Program provides elective clinical rotations for nearly 400 participating medical students each year. The hands-on experiences and rewards that visiting students receive are many and diverse.
As a visiting medical student at Mayo Clinic College of Medicine you'll have the opportunity to become an active member of a medical team. As a team member, you'll attend teaching rounds and conferences, take patient histories, perform physical examinations, assist in the operating room and with other procedures. For clinical services, you'll be assigned to a resident who will provide instruction and supervise your patient-care duties. On average, you will interact with Mayo faculty three to four hours every day.
As a member of Mayo Clinic health care team, you will:
- see patients from around the world with a wide spectrum of common and rare diseases
- work with outstanding physicians representing all medical and surgical specialties and eminent scientists in basic research
- learn clinical decision-making skills at the largest medical group practice in the world
- participate in the educational activities at one of the largest residency training institutions in the nation, with more than 15,000 alumni practicing throughout the world
- experience why Mayo Clinic is an international leader in academic and clinical medicine
- demonstrate your abilities to Mayo Clinic faculty
- meet and interact with residency program directors