Support Throughout Your Training
We are committed to providing a broad range of support services to residents and fellows and their families throughout all stages of their training at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Families' Connection
Mayo Families' Connection is an organization that assists the spouses and significant others of Mayo Clinic residents, clinical fellows, research fellows and medical students in transitioning to Rochester, Minn. It holds events and programs and has a variety of interest groups.
On its website, you'll find information about Rochester housing, schools, child care, higher education and community activities.
Workshop for spouses and significant others
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, in collaboration with the Department of Human Resources and Mayo Families' Connection, sponsors the workshop "Getting Started: An Introduction to the Rochester Community" during orientation each year in Minnesota. This free two-hour workshop, which is for spouses and significant others of residents and fellows, gives attendees the opportunities to:
- Meet other people new to the Rochester area
- Gather information about the community
- Discover local activities
- Learn about resources available at Mayo Clinic and within the community to assist you in your search for employment in and around Rochester
Mayo Fellows Association
Mayo Fellows Association is your liaison between Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education and Mayo Clinic administration. Its leaders understand firsthand the unique perspective and views of trainees and serve as your advocate.
The association also works to enhance your training by providing and organizing:
- Seminars on personal finance and life after residency or fellowship
- Resident and fellow sports teams
- Wellness initiatives
- Social activities, such as movies, ice skating and sporting events
The Mayo Fellows Association has a long history of providing outstanding programs, and more than 95 percent of trainees at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., are members.
Financial assistance and counseling
Mayo Clinic is committed to helping residents and fellows obtain the financial assistance necessary to achieve their educational goals. Services include:
- Financial counseling. Learn more about the financial consulting services available to you as a Mayo resident or fellow.
- Loan consolidation. Along with many other financial products and services, Mayo Employees Federal Credit Union offers private student loan consolidation for Mayo Clinic residents, fellows and physicians.
'Life After Fellowship or Residency'
Each year, Mayo Clinic Alumni Association and Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education co-sponsor "Life After Fellowship or Residency: Transition to Practice." This evening seminar provides Mayo Clinic residents and fellows in their final two years of training with information about successfully transitioning from a training program to a clinical or academic practice.
The curriculum includes topics such as financial management, interviewing skills, employment contracts and work-life balance. See events and programs on the Mayo Clinic Alumni Association website for seminar presentations from previous years.