Admissions and Application Process
Appointments for Mayo Clinic's General Surgery Residency are made through the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
Mayo Clinic in Rochester offers 11 general surgery positions at the PGY-1 level.
To apply to the General Surgery Residency, you must submit an electronic application via the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) through your medical school dean's office.
To use this application process, you need the following information:
- Official medical school transcript(s)
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE*, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX or NBME)
- A dean's letter and three letters of recommendation
- A curriculum vitae
- A personal statement
- A valid ECFMG certificate (if you graduated from medical school outside of the United States or Canada)
* USMLE scores must be provided with the application in order to be accepted
Foreign medical graduates should contact the ECFMG for information and instructions on how to apply using ERAS.
Applications for each academic year, which begins in July, should be completed by November 1 of each year.
If you are considered for an appointment, you will be asked to visit Mayo Clinic in Rochester for an interview with the program director and selected faculty.
Interviews are conducted from November through January each year.