Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency, M.D.-O.M.S. (Minnesota)
Resident educational stipends: 2013-2014 academic year*
|Graduate Level 1
|Graduate Level 2
|Graduate Level 3
|Graduate Level 4
|*Effective July 17, 2013.
The M.D.-O.M.S. (Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery) Program is a joint offering of Mayo Medical School and Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education and is a comprehensive surgical specialty residency, during which trainees earn their medical degrees.
- Become an outstanding clinical Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon with competence in all areas of the specialty
- Consider a career as an academic Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Obtain and maintain certification by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery including successful recertification throughout their careers
- Participate in the education of their co-residents
- Develop skills and interest in self-directed lifelong education
The residency program is six years in length and combines certification in OMS with a Doctor of Medicine degree from Mayo Medical School. It also provides a two-year certificate in General Surgery from MSGME.
The six-year program provides training in all areas of OMS, including:
- Outpatient sedation and general anesthesia for children and adults
- Dentoalveolar Surgery
- Dental and Craniofacial Implants
- Maxillofacial Trauma
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Surgical management of obstructive sleep apnea
- Maxillofacial Pathology and Reconstruction
- Surgical management of temporomandibular joint disorders
- Management of head and neck infections
- Pediatric Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Head and neck oncology
Fellowship training in OMS is not offered at Mayo Clinic Rochester, so as not to detract from your surgical education.
Residents from the Mayo Clinic OMS program have successfully entered private practice, academic practice, and OMS fellowships on completion of training. Since 1990, our program boasts a 100% pass rate for those residents who have taken the certification process for the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program is fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation, which operates under the auspices of the American Dental Association