There is a 1-2 year position available in Mayo Clinic's Multidisciplinary Breast Surgery Fellowship Program every year on a competitive basis.
How to Apply
MSGME does not process printed applications to this program. Applicants must apply through the Society of Surgical Oncology's online application process and match program.
You must submit a completed application form by August 1 of the year preceding the appointment date. The academic year begins approximately July 1.
If you are considered for an appointment, you will be asked to visit Mayo Clinic in Rochester for an interview with the program director and selected faculty.
Interviews are arranged on an individual basis and are in late September through October of each year.
After the interview in Rochester, you may register for the Society of Surgical Oncology's match program.
To be considered for an interview, you must submit a completed application through the Society of Surgery Oncology. Your application should include the following:
- Curriculum vitae. Describe your activities with professional societies, publications, and any other relevant information about your education or experience.
- Citizenship/Visa info. (if not a US Citizen)
- Valid ECFMG certificate. Required if you graduated from a medical school outside the United States or Canada. Upload a scanned image of your certificate.
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX, or NBME). Upload only first page of test score results with percentages.
- Portrait Photo. (.jpg or .tif)
- Personal statement of professional goals.
- FMG documentation. Upload scanned documents showing you have completed medical school and are in a residency program.
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty members, including your thesis advisor, who are thoroughly familiar with your work. Each letter should include the writer’s opinion of your professional, academic, and personal qualifications, as well as his/her opinion on your potential for success in the field for which you are applying.
- Ask your references to send letters directly to the Society of Surgical Oncology at the address below. (SSO staff will upload the files into the system for Program Directors to view.) Under "Applicant Interest" in the SSO Online Match System, you agree to release the documents you upload and the reference letters we receive to the institutions you select to interview with.
- Society of Surgical Oncology
Attn: Karen L. Oster, Director of Training Programs
85 W. Algonquin Road, Suite 550
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
- ABSITE scores. If you have taken the COMLEX or some other in-service, send details to the institutions you are interested in, with a copy to the SSO.
- Professional Liability. If you have Professional Liability claims, be prepared to upload a list of them, with status of each.
The following additional documents will be required to be sent to MSGME by the candidate with whom we match:
- Copy of graduate school and or medical/dental school diploma.
- Official transcripts. Send official transcripts from each university, graduate school, and/or medical school you attended. Provide certified or notarized English translations of documents written in a language other than English.
- Dean’s letter. Ask your medical/dental school to send a letter directly to MSGME.
Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
PLEASE NOTE: You may apply to only one categorical residency or fellowship program.
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905
However, you may apply to the same categorical residency or fellowship program at more than one Mayo Clinic campus. For example, you may apply to the Hematology/Oncology Fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and the Hematology/Oncology Fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville.