Multidisciplinary Breast Surgery Fellowship (Minnesota)
The management of breast disease requires an in-depth knowledge of not only surgery but also breast imaging, pathology, reconstructive surgery, radiation oncology and medical oncology.
The one- to two-year Multidisciplinary Breast Surgery Fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is designed to enhance your knowledge of the management of breast disease, especially those cases for which treatment involves surgery.
Your training experience will include:
- Classifying and evaluating mammographic abnormalities
- Understanding the indications, techniques and complications of image-guided breast biopsy
- Familiarity with indications for and interpretation of breast MRI
- Understanding basic techniques of gross breast specimen evaluation and tissue processing, recognition of basic breast pathology, and knowledge of pathologic prognostic factors
- Counseling patients on treatment options for the local therapy of breast cancer
- Proficiency with common breast surgical procedures, with emphasis on oncoplastic techniques
- Evaluating breast problems in a clinical setting
- Understanding the indications, complications, techniques, results and biology of breast irradiation
- Understanding the indications, results, complications and basic biology of systemic therapy for breast cancer
- Understanding the biology, evaluation and treatment of benign breast disease
- Evaluation of patients with familial breast cancer syndromes and the impact on treatment in benign and malignant disease
Clinical or laboratory research is optional.
In an effort to standardize the breast fellowship training curriculum and make the application and acceptance process more structured, the American Society of Breast Surgeons, in collaboration with the Society of Surgical Oncology and the American Society of Breast Disease, has developed comprehensive guidelines for training breast fellows.
This fellowship follows the established training guidelines and is a program accredited by the Society of Surgical Oncology.
The Multidisciplinary Breast Surgery Fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., was established in 2005 and has trained one fellow each year since then.