During this fellowship you will receive advanced training in all aspects of musculoskeletal radiology in both outpatient and inpatient settings, including experience with magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography, and interventional procedures.
The fellowship rotations are variable and can be modified to meet individual interests and career goals. Required rotations include:
- Routine radiographic interpretation
- Musculoskeletal MR imaging
- Musculoskeletal CT imaging
- Musculoskeletal interventional procedures
- Orthopedic surgery (rotation in Department of Orthopedic Surgery)
- Spine imaging/intervention
- Pediatrics (Nemours Children's Clinic)
- Spine (at Jacksonville or Rochester)
- Body MR imaging
- Away elective at Scottsdale or Rochester (funding dependent)
Clinical conferences, seminars, small discussion groups, journal clubs and one-on-one instruction are all an integral part of the Musculoskeletal Radiology Fellowship.
- Orthopedic tumor (weekly)
- MR-Arthroscopic correlation and Ortho-radiology correlation [non-arthroscopic cases] (alternating Tuesdays)
- Journal club (weekly)
Research opportunities at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville are outstanding. The Musculoskeletal Section is actively involved in clinical research, and fellows are expected to participate in one or more clinical research projects with the consulting staff. Fellows are expected to prepare one manuscript for publication and presentation at a national meeting and will be given up to one month academic time to fulfill this expectation. Mayo Clinic College of Medicine will fund presentation of the research. Additionally, fellows are required to prepare and present occasional didactic lectures.
To ensure you gain proficiency and develop the corresponding technical skills, your performance is monitored throughout this program. You are formally evaluated by your supervising faculty member following the completion of each clinical rotation; and then meet with the program director to review these evaluations. In addition, you regularly evaluate the faculty to ensure your educational goals are being met.
You will have the opportunity to teach Mayo radiology residents and visiting residents and students through daily clinical work.