The Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship curriculum will give you the skills, clinical judgment and knowledge necessary to practice geriatric psychiatry to enable you to assume a leadership position in the field.
The clinical curriculum consists of supervised rotations in acute care, intermediate care, long-term care, outpatient settings and consultative practice.
The following shows an example of the rotations you will have during the Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship:Outpatient
- Geriatric Psychiatry (30%)
- Behavioral Neurology (12%)
- Movement Disorders (8%)
Inpatient (4 months)
- Geriatric Psychiatry Inpatient (25%)
- Geriatric Consultation Liaison (25%)
Electives (3 months)
- Inpatient electives: Palliative Care & Hospice service, Oncology service, Brain Rehabilitation Unit
- Outpatient electives: Electroconvulsive therapy, Pain Rehabilitation program, Addiction Psychiatry service
- Research elective
All core and elective rotations are 50% effort to enable you to maintain continuity of care with outpatients (psychiatry and primary care) and long-term care patients throughout the year.
Core rotations include: Geriatric Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic, Geriatric Medicine Clinic, Long-term Care, Behavioral Neurology Clinic, Movement Disorders Clinic, Geriatric Psychiatry Inpatient, and Geriatric Consultation-Liaison services.
There is a weekly cored didactic series with faculty. You will participate in and learn to coordinate regular weekly geriatric psychiatry case conferences and journal clubs. In addition, you will have close contact with the clinical psychiatry services. There will also be opportunities to observe studies with patients and attend various psychiatry and psychology conferences.
To meet its ongoing commitment to provide cutting-edge patient care, the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology at Mayo Clinic is involved with multiple research projects including:
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Cognitive disorders
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- Other neuropsychiatric treatment
- Sleep disorders
- Nicotine dependence
- Eating disorders
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
During the Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship, you will conduct at least one research project, depending on your specific area of interest.
See also Psychiatry and Psychology Research at Mayo Clinic.