Department and Faculty
The Department of Psychiatry and Psychology at Mayo Clinic is one of the largest psychiatric treatment groups in the United States, comprised of more than 80 psychiatrists and psychologists representing every aspect of psychiatric medicine.
The department cares for both adults and children. Many staff members also conduct research and are involved in training new specialists. Approximately 50 residents and fellows are in training during an average year.
More than 2,000 patients are evaluated annually for psychiatry-related disorders at Mayo Clinic in Rochester. While m ost patients are treated on an outpatient basis, the department also conducts several inpatient programs within its Psychiatry Treatment Center.
Specialists in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology at Mayo Clinic provide comprehensive evaluations, diagnosis and treatment for patients with psychiatric problems. Special areas of expertise include:
- Psychopharmacology consultations
- Evaluation and treatment of affective disorders
- Evaluation and treatment of anxiety disorders
- Geriatric psychiatry
- Evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders, including sleep apnea, narcolepsy, parasomnias and insomnia
- Nocturnal enuresis
- Evaluation and treatment of headaches (in consultation with the Department of Neurology)
- Evaluation and treatment of psychophysiologic disorders (in consultation with the Department of Internal Medicine)
- Evaluation of substance abuse in patients with dual diagnoses (psychiatric disorder and substance abuse)
The Addiction Disorders Fellowship faculty is comprised of Mayo Clinic specialists, who are committed to patient care, education and research in their daily practices. Many of our faculty have published and lectured extensively and are well regarded in their field. You will have direct access to these individuals throughout your training.
You will be assigned a faculty adviser who can provide comprehensive educational advice and personal support. The adviser also serves as a contact point, introducing you and your family to Mayo Clinic and the communities in which you will train.
Many prominent professors visit Mayo Clinic each year. They present their work during morning and late afternoon lectures. Residents and fellows are encouraged to take full advantage of these opportunities to interact with experts from other academic centers and are relieved from clinical assignments to do so.