Department and Faculty
The Department of Psychiatry and Psychology at Mayo Clinic is one of the largest psychiatric treatment groups in the United States, with more than 150 psychiatrists and psychologists representing every aspect of psychiatric medicine.
Specialists in the department provide comprehensive evaluations, diagnosis and treatment for both adults and children. Many staff members also conduct research and are involved in training new specialists. Approximately 50 residents and fellows are in training during an average year.
More than 2,000 patients are evaluated annually for psychiatry-related disorders at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota. While most patients are treated on an outpatient basis, the department also conducts several inpatient programs within its Mayo Clinic Psychiatric Hospital.
Special areas of expertise include:
- Psychopharmacology consultations
- Evaluation and treatment of affective disorders
- Evaluation and treatment of anxiety disorders
- Geriatric psychiatry
- Evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders, including sleep apnea, narcolepsy, parasomnias and insomnia
- Nocturnal enuresis
- Evaluation and treatment of headaches (in consultation with the Department of Neurology)
- Evaluation and treatment of psychophysiologic disorders (in consultation with the Department of Internal Medicine)
- Evaluation of substance abuse in patients with dual diagnoses (psychiatric disorder and substance abuse)
The Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship faculty is composed of Mayo Clinic specialists who are committed to patient care, education and research in their daily practices. Many faculty members have published and lectured extensively and are well-regarded in their fields. You have direct access to these individuals throughout your training.
Advisers and mentors
You are assigned a faculty adviser who can provide comprehensive educational advice and personal support. The adviser also serves as a contact point, introducing you and your family to Mayo Clinic and the communities in which you will train.
Many prominent professors visit Mayo Clinic each year and present their work during lectures. Residents and fellows are encouraged to take full advantage of these opportunities to interact with experts from other academic centers and are relieved from clinical assignments to do so.