General admissions requirements
Applications are accepted only via ERAS.
- Medical residencies are open to qualified graduates of accredited U.S. and Canadian medical schools.
- To qualify for admission, graduates from medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Information about certification and visa sponsorship, if required, is available from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates.
- Mayo supports ECFMG J-1 visa sponsorship for residents enrolled in graduate medical education.
- All applicable licensure eligibility requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting a Mayo residency program.
- Continuation and completion of the program depend on your satisfactory progress in education, performance of all duties, and compliance with Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education (MSGME) policies. Visit Admissions for a summary of policies.
Appointments are confirmed in a formal written letter of appointment from Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education. This letter, including a copy you will be asked to sign and return, constitutes your formal residency appointment to Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education.
Resident and fellow policies