Department and Faculty
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester offers comprehensive in-patient and out-patient services for women. There are 32 staff physicians who provide patient care and are actively involved in research and medical education.
The OB/GYN sections providing care at Mayo Clinic include:
- Obstetrics – Expert personalized care for women before, during and after pregnancy through OB/GYN generalists, Family Practitioners and a midwifery program
- Maternal Fetal Medicine – Specialized services for high-risk pregnancies provided by four Maternal Fetal Medicine sub-specialists trained in the United States or England
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility – Treatment of infertility and disorders of the endocrine and reproductive systems
- Gynecology – Care for disorders of the female reproductive track
- Gynecologic Surgery – Seven Gynecologic Oncologists and two Urogynecologists who provide state-of-the-art care for women with benign and malignant conditions of the female reproductive system and genitourinary tract
- Minimally-Invasive Gynecologic Surgery – Two specialists provide state-of-the-art care focusing on endoscopic techniques
The section of Maternal Fetal Medicine performs more than 6,500 ultrasounds each year. We also participate in the high-risk deliveries for approximately 2,300 women each year.
You will not be overwhelmed by the care of uncomplicated obstetrical deliveries or common obstetrical complications, but will focus on truly high-risk patients and unusual complications of pregnancy.
The extensive growth in high-risk deliveries has necessitated an expansion of the Level II and Level III NICUs. Further expansion is anticipated.
Mayo clinic has a state-of-the-art electronic medical record system, which comprehensively integrates patient data including clinical notes, laboratory data, radiographic imaging etc. You will also have access to the world-class Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Center.
The teaching faculty working at the Mayo Clinic and hospitals are exclusively Mayo Clinic staff. Therefore, the entire Mayo patient population is available to you with extensive learning opportunities and educational experiences.
You will be assigned a faculty advisor or mentor and a research advisor to provide you with comprehensive educational advice and personal support. They, along with the other staff members, will help guide your in your professional, educational and research career.