Department and Faculty
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, offers comprehensive inpatient and outpatient services for women. There are more than 40 staff physicians who provide patient care and are actively involved in research and medical education.
The obstetrics and gynecology sections at Mayo Clinic include:
- Division of Obstetrics. Offers expert, personalized care for women before, during and after pregnancy through OB/GYN generalists, family practitioners and a midwifery program.
- Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine. Specializes in high-risk pregnancies and includes four maternal-fetal medicine subspecialists.
- Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Manages treatment of infertility and disorders of the endocrine and reproductive systems.
- Division of Gynecology. Provides care for disorders of the female reproductive tract.
- Division of Gynecologic Surgery. Seven gynecologic oncologists and two urogynecologists provide leading-edge surgical care for women with benign and malignant conditions of the female reproductive system and genitourinary tract.
The Division of Maternal and Fetal Medicine performs more than 6,500 ultrasounds each year. We also participate in the high-risk deliveries for approximately 2,300 women each year. You are not overwhelmed by the care of uncomplicated obstetrical deliveries or common obstetrical complications, but instead focus on truly high-risk patients and unusual complications of pregnancy.
The extensive growth in high-risk deliveries has necessitated an expansion of the Level II and Level III neonatal intensive care units. Further expansion is anticipated.
Mayo Clinic has a state-of-the-art electronic medical record system that comprehensively integrates patient data, including clinical notes, laboratory data, radiographic imaging and more. You also have access to the world-class Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Center.
The teaching faculty working at Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester are exclusively Mayo Clinic staff. Therefore, the entire Mayo patient population is available to you with extensive learning opportunities and educational experiences.
Advisers and mentors
You are assigned a faculty adviser or mentor and a research adviser to provide you with comprehensive educational advice and personal support. They, along with the other staff members, help guide you in your professional, educational and research career.