The clinical component of the fellowship involves evaluation, diagnosis and management of patients with all forms of cerebrovascular disorders, ordering and interpreting cerebrovascular studies, and participating in clinical treatment trials.
As a stroke fellow you have the opportunity to see a variety of patients in the outpatient clinic and on the inpatient Acute Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease Hospital Service.
This experience includes the opportunity to care for patients with cerebrovascular diseases including:
- Ischemic stroke
- Hemorrhagic stroke
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage
- Intracranial aneurysms
- Intracerebral hemorrhage
- Carotid artery disease
- Intracranial arterial stenosis
- Transient ischemic attack
- Vascular malformations
- Arterial dissection
- Cryptogenic stroke and PFO
- Genetic causes of stroke (e.g. CADASIL)
Didactic lectures will be continued during the remainder of the fellowship. You will have an opportunity to participate in clinical conferences in the Department of Neurology. These include:
- Weekly Neurology Grand Round teleconferences from Mayo Clinic in Rochester
- Weekly Neuroscience Conference at Mayo Clinic in Arizona
- Weekly subspecialty teleconference with Mayo Clinic in Rochester and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville
- Monthly subspecialty case conferences
- Monthly MERIT conference (Evidence-based medicine journal club)
- Weekly Multidisciplinary Hospital Stroke Conference
You will assist in instructing local fourth-year medical students and residents doing a stroke rotation from the residency program and from other institutions. You will have the unique opportunity to participate in academic pursuits such as lectures, resident and medical student teaching, invited talks, clinical trials, drug studies and novel clinical research during the fellowship period.
An integral part of the comprehensive Vascular Neurology Fellowship Program includes specialty training in acute stroke trials, stroke prevention trials and other clinical research projects.
We anticipate that during the one-year fellowship, you will organize and complete at least one clinical research project and have at least one first author publication. Participation in a research project will be dependent on your professional interests and capabilities. Travel to a national neuroscience meeting will be available for original presentations.