Life in Rochester
Life in Rochester, Minn.
- Mayo Applicants' Community Connection
- Rochester and Southern Minnesota is home to a variety of cultural activities. Some theatrical and musical opportunities in the area include:
- Commonweal Theatre
- Jon Hassler Theatre
- Rochester Art Center
- Rochester Choral Arts Ensemble
- Rochester Civic Music
- Rochester Civic Theatre
- Rochester Repertory Theatre Company
- Rochester Symphony Orchestra and Chorale
- Sports and leisure time in and around Rochester.
A brief sampling of what is available in and around Rochester includes:
- Recreation leagues for basketball, hockey, football, soccer, softball.
- Outdoor activities including, but not limited to, biking, hiking, skiing (downhill and cross country), fishing, tennis, hunting and climbing (both indoors and outdoors), sailing, canoeing.
- Professional and amateur sports: Rochester Honkers baseball, Rochester Mustangs hockey, Minnesota Wild hockey, Minnesota Twins baseball, Minnesota Vikings football. In addition there are many opportunities to watch city league, high school and college sporting events.
- Tours: Forestville/Mystery cave, Spring Valley caverns (Cave Farm Karst Preserve), Assisi Heights, Mayowood (Olmsted County Historical Society), Heritage House, Plummer House, etc. In addition, Amish tours are available just south of Rochester.
Popular "get aways": Lake Pepin - Mississippi River (35 min), Red Wing, MN (45 min), Twin Cities - Minneapolis/St. Paul (80 min).
What do residents do outside of work?
For a relatively small city, Rochester and its environs offer a surprising breadth of cultural, recreational and educational activities. Although the following websites give an overview of the surrounding community, many additional opportunities exist as well.
- Salvation Army Free Clinic
- Paws and Claws Humane Society
- Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center
- Rochester Athletic Club (one of the largest health clubs in North America)
- Rochester Active Sports Club (RASC)
- Rochester Park and Recreation
- Extensive biking and hiking trails
- Rochester Area Family Y (a.ka. YMCA)
- Rochester Honkers Baseball (semi-professional)
- University of Minnesota, Rochester
- Rochester Community and Technical College
- Extensive offerings through the Community Education program
- Extensive weekly Farmers' Market
- Good Food Store, an eclectic, well-stocked organic grocery store with a vegetarian restaurant
- Several excellent bakeries, including "Great Harvest" and "The Bread Baker"