During the Transplant Hepatology Fellowship, you acquire skills in patient diagnosis and management, procedural techniques, teaching, and research.
This is a typical rotation schedule:
|Liver transplant (outpatient)
|Liver transplant service (inpatient)
|Hepatobiliary Clinic (outpatient)
Clinical conferences, seminars, small discussion groups, journal clubs and one-on-one instruction are all integral parts of the fellowship.
Innovation and clinical research have enabled Mayo Clinic to remain at the forefront of liver transplantation. For example, the allocation system for liver transplantation — Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) score — was first proposed, designed and tested by physicians at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota. See the MELD calculators on the Mayo Clinic website.
Over the last decade, hundreds of publications and talks have been presented by Mayo Clinic staff at national and international meetings. Mayo Clinic is renowned for its leadership role in the transplantation of patients with the entire gamut of liver disorders and diseases.
Each fellow has an opportunity to conduct research under the supervision of a mentor within a broad spectrum of projects in clinical investigations as well as basic science research.
Recent graduate publications include:
- Low incidence of primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) in the first-degree relatives of PBC probands after 8 years of follow-up. Gulamhusein AF, Juran BD, Atkinson EJ, McCauley B, Schlicht E, Lazaridis KN. Liver International. 2016. Epub ahead of print.
- A Hippo and fibroblast growth factor receptor autocrine pathway in cholangiocarcinoma. Rizvi S, Yamada D, Hirsova P, Brong SF, Werneburg NW, Krishnan A, Salim W, Zhang L, Trushina E, Truty MJ, Gores GJ. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2016;291:8031.
- Duration of inflammatory bowel disease is associated with increased risk of cholangiocarcinoma in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis and IBD. Gulamhusen AF, Eaton JE, Tabibian JH, Atkinson EJ, Juran BD, Lazaridis KN. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2016;111:705.
- Liver capsule: Cholangiocarcinoma (CCA). Rizvi S, Gores GJ. Hepatology. 2016;63:1356.
- Genome-wide association studies in primary biliary cirrhosis. Gulamhusein AF, Juran BD, Lazaridis KN. Seminars in Liver Disease. 2015;35:392.
- Comparative effectiveness of pharmacological interventions for nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Singh S, Khera R, Allen AM, Murad MH, Loomba R. Hepatology. 2015;62:1417.
- Acute-on-chronic liver failure. Asrani SK, Simonetto DA, Kamath PS. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2015;13:2128.
- Reply to: Chronic kidney disease (CKD) and NAFLD: Time for awareness and screening. Allen AM, Kim WR, Heimbach JK, Rule AD. Journal of Hepatology. 2015;62:984.
- Reply to: Chronic kidney disease after liver transplantation. Allen AM, Kim WR, Therneau TM, Larson JJ, Heimbach JK, Rule AD. Journal of Hepatology. 2015;62:244.
- Chronic passive venous congestion drives hepatic fibrogenesis via sinusoidal thrombosis and mechanical forces. Simonetto DA, Yang H, Yin M, de Assuncao TM, Kwon JH, Hilscher M, Pan S, Yang L, Bi Y, Beyder A, Cao S, Simari RD, Ehman R, Kamath PS, Shah VH. Hepatology. 2015;61:648.
- Serum cystatin C as an indicator of renal function and mortality in liver transplant recipients. Allen AM, Kim WR, Larson JJ, Colby C, Therneau TM, Rule AD. Transplantation. 2015;99:1431.
- Review article: The management of cirrhosis in women. Allen AM, Hay JE. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2014;40:1146.
- Book chapter: Does ACLF also exist in the United States? Allen AM, Kamath PS. Therapy in Liver Diseases. Gines, Arroyo.
One year is spent on focused training and research, so moonlighting requires program director approval.
To ensure you gain proficiency and develop the corresponding technical skills, your performance is monitored throughout the Transplant Hepatology Fellowship. You are formally evaluated by your supervising faculty member after completing each clinical rotation, and then you meet with the program director to review these evaluations. In addition, you regularly evaluate the faculty to ensure your educational goals are being met.