Department and Faculty
Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Mayo Clinic specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the digestive tract and liver. It is the largest practice of its kind in the United States. In any given year, members of the division perform more than 35,000 endoscopic procedures in state-of-the-art facilities, using the latest equipment.
The division is organized around interest groups oriented toward disease processes, organ systems, procedures or patient groups. Clinical expertise is integrated with the newest forms of established and experimental diagnostic and therapeutic methods.
Among the areas of the Motility Clinic's expertise are:
- Multidisciplinary evaluation and management of motility disorders affecting the entire GI tract
- Radionnuclide gastrointestinal and colonic transit studies
- Esophageal motility testing (manometry, 24-hour pH monitoring)
- Gastroduodenal motility
- Colonic barostat-manometry
- Anorectal function testing (high-resolution manometry, barium protography, and dynamic MRI).
In addition to caring for patients in their clinical practices, Mayo Clinic's faculty members are committed to teaching and facilitating the growth of medical knowledge. Many of our faculty have published and lectured extensively and are highly regarded in their field. You will have direct access to the gastroenterology faculty at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota throughout your training.
Many prominent professors visit Mayo Clinic each year. They present their work during noon and/or morning lectures and participate in hospital rounds. You will be encouraged to take full advantage of these opportunities.