Dermatology Residency (Arizona)
Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, offers a categorical program that combines the one-year Transitional Year Residency (PGY-1) with the three-year Dermatology Residency (PGY-2 through PGY-4). There is not a separate application for the preliminary year.
The Dermatology Residency prides itself in preparing well-rounded clinicians, capable of entering fellowships, academics or private practice. Through our affiliations with the dermatology residencies at Mayo Clinic's campuses in Rochester, Minnesota, and Jacksonville, Florida, we share the academic didactic benefits and faculty resources of a large residency program, while maintaining the individualized attention and mentorship of a small group.
Program highlights include:
- Emphasis on academic learning and mentorship
- Routine, active resident participation in program improvements
- Integrated transitional year with a dermatology-centered curriculum
- Encouraged autonomy with resident-driven patient care
- Exposure to all skin types, ages and demographic backgrounds
- Support for research projects, publications and conference presentation travel
- Outstanding nursing and support staff
The Dermatology Residency fulfills the requirements for training as stated by the American Board of Dermatology and is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
After successful completion of the program, residents are eligible for certification through the American Board of Dermatology.
The Dermatology Residency in Arizona began in 2000. Two residents are anticipated to complete training in the program each year. Previous graduating residents have continued to fellowships in dermatopathology, pediatric dermatology or procedural dermatology, as well as academic careers or private practice.