Applicants may apply to only one categorical residency or fellowship program. You may apply to the same categorical program at more than one Mayo Clinic campus, if available.
- Carefully review these Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education policies:
Complete the application using the appropriate third-party application service. Each Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education program description includes application instructions and deadlines and identifies which application service you should use.
Review the application process for the Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education program you wish to apply to.
- Submit your completed application, the materials required for all Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education applications, and any additional supporting materials through the application process specified for the Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education program you are applying to.
Materials required to apply
All applications to Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education residencies and fellowships must include these materials as supporting documentation:
- Curriculum vitae
- Describe your activities with professional societies, publications, and any other relevant information about your education or experience.
- Personal statement of professional goals
- Copy of graduate school and or medical or dental school diploma
- Dean's letter
- Ask your medical or dental school to send a letter directly to the education coordinator listed in the application process of the program to which you are applying. A scanned copy, if available, is acceptable for Apply Yourself.
- Official final transcripts
- Transcripts must indicate degree earned and date conferred from each graduate school, dental school, and medical school you attended. Scanned copies are acceptable for Apply Yourself. If you receive an appointment, official copies will be requested.
- Provide certified or notarized English translations of documents originally written in a language other than English.
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations
- USMLE, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX, or NBME. Scanned copies are acceptable for Apply Yourself. If you receive an appointment, official copies will be requested.
- Valid ECFMG certificate required if you graduated from a medical school outside the U.S. or Canada.
- Three original letters of recommendation, or if specified in your program description, letters from physicians or faculty members who are thoroughly familiar with your work. If you have had prior residency training, ask your program director for a letter of recommendation. Each letter should include the writer's opinion of your professional, academic, and personal qualifications, as well as an opinion of your potential success in the field for which you are applying. Postdoctoral fellowship applications should have one of these letters from your thesis adviser.
- Copy of completion certificate from each of your prior residency and/or fellowship training programs.