The Department of Anesthesiology at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, offers 18 positions in its Anesthesiology Residency through two pathways:
- Categorical Anesthesiology (NRMP code 1328040C0). Ten residents enter the categorical program each year, completing their internship in preliminary internal medicine at Mayo Clinic.
- Advanced Anesthesiology (NRMP code 1328040A0). Eight residents enter the advanced program after completing an internship at another institution.
How to apply
You must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
The application and all supporting documentation must be submitted by Oct. 15 of the year preceding the appointment date. The academic year begins in July.
- To apply to the program, visit the ERAS website. Your application must include:
- A completed ERAS application
- Medical school transcripts
- Dean's letter
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations (USMLE, COMLEX)
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with your professional qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
- A valid ECFMG certificate (if you graduated from medical school outside of the United States or Canada)
- All appointments are made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Candidates must register through the NRMP website.
- Applicants considered for an appointment will be invited to visit Mayo Clinic for a personal interview with the program director and selected faculty. Interviews are conducted from October through December each year.
What to expect on your interview day:
- Eight applicants are interviewed each day.
- The night before your interview, you and your significant other are invited to dinner with several current residents.
- The interview day begins the following morning at 7:30 a.m.
- The program director gives a brief overview of the residency.
- You will interview with the program director, two faculty members and one chief resident.
- Applicants are treated to lunch with several residents in the hospital cafeteria.
- A current resident will take you on a tour of the Mayo Clinic campus.
- The interview day concludes by 2:30 p.m.
Also see application details: