Share on:

Getting Started

Required documents

As indicated in your appointment letter, the Application for Residency Permit, Licensure Eligibility Questionnaire and Post-Appointment Information forms must be completed, signed and returned with your signed appointment letter to Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education within 10 business days.

Send the forms to:

  • Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education
    • Attention: (Name of graduate education coordinator noted on appointment letter)
    • Siebens Building, Fifth Floor
      200 First St. SW
      Rochester, MN 55905

Contact your graduate education coordinator if you have any questions about the required forms.

Before arriving for orientation

Upon receiving notice from Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education in mid-April of your appointment year and prior to the first day of orientation, bring these items to the Employee Service Center, Ozmun East Building, Lobby Level reception desk. Ozmun East is one block west of the Mayo Clinic Building on Second Street SW.

  • Employment eligibility. Provide proof of your legal right to work:
    • Print pages 7, 8 and 9 of the I-9 Employment Eligibility form.
    • Complete only section 1 (page 7).
    • Present the I-9 Employment Eligibility form along with applicable documents that establish identification and employment authorization to the Employee Service Center. Refer to page 9 for a list of acceptable documents.
  • Social Security card. Present your original Social Security card to the Employee Service Center. If you have a Social Security number but have misplaced your card, or need to update it due to a name change, see these guidelines.
    • International residents and fellows without Social Security numbers should wait for instructions from the International Personnel Practice Group regarding the application for a Social Security card at your assigned Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education orientation. Upon receipt of your original card, you will need to present it at the Employee Service Center.
  • Complete a health review. Before starting your program, you must complete a health review with a Mayo Clinic occupational health nurse. You're strongly encouraged to complete this before orientation. Read more.
  • Complete national and state background studies. These must be completed online within 48 hours of when you received an email about them from Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, unless you don't have a Social Security number or a U.S. address. Read more.
  • Complete required online training. The three training modules should take you a total of about two to three hours. Read more.
  • Inform us about special needs. If you have special needs, such as a sign language interpreter, lactation room or wheelchair access, contact us at
  • Request your preferred name for your Mayo identification badge. If you would like your common first name, such as "Bob" rather than "Robert," to be used on the front side of your Mayo identification badge, email your full legal name and your preferred first name to by May 31.

Additional appointment information

  • March 24, 2014
  • ART201494