Before you start residency or fellowship training, you'll take part in an orientation program that will introduce you to Mayo Clinic and Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education.
We look forward to meeting you and feel confident that the training you will receive will be enjoyable and rewarding. Before your arrival, there are several tasks that need to be completed.
Before arriving for orientation
- Complete a national background study. The background study must be completed online within 48 hours from the time you receive an email about the background study from Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, unless you do not have a Social Security number or U.S. address.
- Contact Provider Enrollment. Email Arizona Provider Enrollment your National Provider Identifier (NPI). If you do not know your NPI or need to establish your NPI, contact Arizona Provider Enrollment for further instructions. In early May, Provider Enrollment will contact you to complete government provider enrollment applications. Please respond in a timely manner.
- Complete a health review. You must complete a health review with a Mayo Clinic occupational health nurse at least one week before your first day of orientation.
- Obtain life-support certifications. Both Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certifications are required before you begin your training program. We strongly encourage you to obtain both before orientation. If you are already certified, certification must be valid until December 2014. Email signed copies of your current verification card to email@example.com. Read more.
- Request your preferred name for your Mayo Clinic ID badge. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name as you would like it to appear on your ID badge. For example, your legal name could be Christopher Smith, M.D., but you might want Chris Smith, M.D., on your badge.
- Complete and return required forms. Several required forms — for a lab coat, parking and other purposes — must be returned by May 31.
- Inform us about special needs. If you have special needs, whether for a sign language interpreter, wheelchair access, other accessibility aids, or special dietary needs, such as vegetarian or gluten-free, contact us at email@example.com.
Bring to orientation
- Proof of identity and employment eligibility. From the lists of acceptable documents, bring two documents that establish identity and at least one document that establishes employment authorization.
- Social Security card. If you have misplaced your card or need to update it due to a name change, follow these guidelines. International residents and fellows without a Social Security number should apply for a number and card as soon as they have a local address.
- Family members' Social Security numbers. You will need the Social Security number of your spouse and any dependent family members to enroll them in your health plan.
- Bank account information. Because your stipend will be paid by direct deposit, you'll need to provide your bank account number and bank routing number. For convenience, please bring a voided check.