Committed to providing the highest quality training
At Mayo Clinic, virtually all of our 4,100 physicians and scientists make up the faculty that teach trainees in our 271 residency and fellowship programs, representing every medical and surgical specialty. Each of these faculty members is committed to educating all residents and fellows to provide compassionate, high-quality care to every patient every day.
To achieve this mission, our faculty members:
- Work to ensure the highest quality, safest patient care by advancing and teaching tomorrow's medicine to physicians in training through lifelong learning in a team-based environment
- Advance our trainees' ability to deliver high-quality care through experiential learning, simulation training, standardized practice guidelines and outcomes-based curriculums
- Foster Mayo Clinic's expertise, innovation and best practices through continuous improvement and scholarly activities
Learn more about our faculty and dean's commitment to providing outstanding training by reading the dean's welcome.
Committed to the success of each trainee
How is the faculty-trainee relationship different at Mayo Clinic? Here, faculty members provide trainees with:
- World-renowned expertise. Many Mayo faculty members are leading experts in their fields and provide trainees with the opportunity to learn about the latest treatments and therapies. At other institutions, trainees may read about leading experts, but at Mayo Clinic, trainees learn from them.
- Direct hands-on training and instruction. At Mayo Clinic, trainees learn directly from faculty members, who offer the breadth and depth of their expertise as they provide hands-on teaching and mentoring. At other institutions, trainees often interact more with residents and fellows who are one or two years ahead of them, rather than directly with faculty members, limiting the trainees' exposure to expertise.
- Mentoring to ensure career success. Mayo faculty provide mentoring to ensure that trainees develop superior clinical and research skills and learn how to work as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide the best patient care, all skills that are critical for future success. In addition, faculty members provide career guidance and networking opportunities to help every trainee meet his or her education and career goals.
Learn more about our trainees and their experiences with our faculty: