Mayo medical students deepen their multi-cultural awareness and communication skills through providing services to the under-served.
Opportunities for meeting the needs of the underserved are numerous in Rochester and the surrounding region including
- Volunteer activities are available at the Salvation Army Free Clinic
- Volunteering activities at the Dorothy Day House, a shelter for homeless persons
- Volunteering activities in a migrant farm workers clinic in Blooming Prairie
- Elective clerkships in urban communities.
- Volunteering for numerous charitable organizations throughout Rochester and the surrounding communities
- Tutoring and mentoring to school-age children
- Participating in the Hoffman Scholarship Fund supporting clinical activities of medical students in underserved environments around the world