All M.D. Program applicants must obtain a bachelor's or Pharm.D. degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or Canada prior to matriculation for admissions consideration; however, no major field is preferred.
The following courses are required prior to admission:*
- One year of biology and/or zoology (with one year of lab)
- One year of inorganic chemistry (with one year of lab)
- One year of organic chemistry (with one year of lab)
- One year of physics (with one year of lab)
- One course in biochemistry **
* Please note that all prerequisite coursework must be completed by June 15th of the planned matriculation year.
** Biochemistry is the only prerequisite that may be completed online due to the lack of a laboratory requirement.
All M.D. program applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada at the time of application. Foreign nationals, regardless of Visa status, are not eligible for admission to Mayo Medical School.
The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
Applicants must complete the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), administered by American Colleges Testing Program and Services prior to admissions. Only MCAT scores reported within three years of matriculation year are considered in admissions decisions.