Admissions and Application Process
Mayo Medical School enrolls students with superior academic credentials, leadership characteristics and a sincere desire to commit their lives to service. Recognizing the strength of diversity, we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply. Equal opportunity and access are embraced throughout the admissions process.
- The Admissions Committee comprises current and retired Mayo staff, medical school administrators, current medical students and community leaders. Members are actively involved in the on-campus candidate interview process.
- The Admissions Committee meets weekly from September through December to review and rank interviewed candidates.
- During the admissions cycle, appointment offers are made to all ranked candidates every two to three weeks.
- Those interviewed applicants not receiving appointments during the initial review will receive notification of their "hold status." During each subsequent review, all previously reviewed applicants remain active and eligible to receive appointment offers.
- This periodic and rolling admissions process allows for all applicants to remain active for admissions consideration, irrespective of their interview dates, until the class is filled (March 15).
How to apply
Apply to Mayo Medical School through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Applications are accepted from June 1 through Oct. 1. Transcripts are due to Mayo Medical School by Oct. 15.
For those applicants selected for secondary review, an application filing fee of $120 must be submitted. There are no secondary applications to be completed. The application fee deadline is Nov. 15. This fee is waived for all applicants who have been granted an AMCAS fee waiver.
Early submission of the application materials is strongly encouraged. All letters of evaluation must be received by AMCAS no later than Nov. 15. Applications remaining incomplete after the Nov. 15 deadline will not be reviewed.
Applicants selected for interviews will be notified on a rolling basis beginning in late July. Offers of acceptance will begin in mid-October. All on-site interviews will be completed by mid-December. The waitlist will be created by late February.
- AMCAS application deadline. The last date to submit the AMCAS application is Oct. 1, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. No extensions will be granted.
- AMCAS application fee and letters of evaluation deadline. Application fees and letters of evaluation must be received by AMCAS by Nov. 15. After Nov. 15, incomplete applications will no longer be considered. No extensions will be granted.
- Invitations for interviews. Interview invitations are emailed July through November. Interviews are conducted from early September through mid-December. Offers of acceptance will be made from the group of applicants selected for interviews.
- Waitlist. The waitlist will be created by late February. Offers of acceptance ("appointments") will be made until the class is filled. Initial offers will be completed by February, and the waitlist will be created by the end of February. Offers of acceptance from the waitlist will be made until the first day of class in mid-July.
- AMCAS releases all verified applications to medical schools for admissions consideration each year beginning in early summer.
- Mayo Medical School receives all applications that are submitted to AMCAS by the Oct. 1 application deadline.
- The Admissions Executive Committee reviews all applications.