The 28-foot Man and Freedom sculpture, created by the late international artist Ivan Mestrovic inspires patients, staff and medical students alike.
Students play an important role in the governance of Mayo Medical School:
- Students serve on the Medical School Education Committee, the curriculum committees and the Admissions and Financial Aid committees.
- Students from each class attend regularly scheduled student representative meetings with medical school administrative staff members.
- All classes meet regularly with the deans and administrators to discuss student concerns.
- The student meetings also are attended by other medical school faculty or their representatives and various other curriculum committee representatives, when appropriate.
- MMS has branches of many national medical organizations, including:
- The American Medical Women's Association
- The American Medical Students Association
- The Student National Medical Association
The school sponsors approved trips to national meetings of these organizations and occasionally sponsors meetings in Rochester.
For a nominal fee, medical students and their spouses may join Mayo's Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center. The DAHLC is a fitness center with two campus locations that offers personal exercise consultation and a variety of training programs.
Medical students and their families join Mayo Clinic staff in enjoying the social, recreational, cultural and educational activities sponsored by Mayo's Leisure and Lifestyle Activities Program. These events include concerts, plays, sporting events, classes, trips, parties and dances.
Discount rates are available for the Minnesota Zoo, the Minnesota Science Museum, the Minnesota Children's Museum and several amusement centers, hotels and motels. Discounts are also offered for local movie theaters, car washes and transportation to the Minneapolis airport.
The annual Medical School "Mixed Bag" talent show is an all-school event presented by students to entertain classmates, faculty, administration, families and friends.