Vision and Mission
Mayo Medical School will educate physicians and physician-scientists who will transform the practice of medicine by healing both patients and the health care system.
To train physician and physician-scientist leaders who will practice and teach patient-centered, science-driven, team-based, high-value health care and contribute to a resilient, diverse and culturally competent physician workforce.
- Physician leaders. Physicians who model servant leadership in a wide variety of professional settings.
- Patient-centered. Exemplifying humanism and Mayo Clinic's unique model of patient-centered health care.
- Science-driven. Supporting evidence-based medicine and accelerating discovery and innovation using traditional and emerging sciences, and improving the health care system by applying tools from the science of health care delivery.
- Team-based. Working and studying in collaborative groups and facilitating interdisciplinary, collaborative team-based practice.
- High-value health care. Advancing the science of health care delivery by mastering the necessary knowledge to improve quality, safety and service within health care systems.
- Resilient. Adjusting and thriving in an evolving health care landscape through deliberate training in wellness and resilience as well as ongoing reflection and effective change in self and in others.
- Diverse and culturally competent. Recognizing, valuing and respecting the richness of diversity and cultural differences.
Core principles: Lead, transform and heal
Mayo Medical School will:
- Enroll an outstanding and diverse student body that has a strong foundation in the sciences and a demonstrated commitment to service and continuous learning
- Attract and sustain an outstanding and diverse faculty who contribute to education scholarship and utilize the best principles of education to optimize students' professional development
- Provide a learner-centered curriculum that aligns with evolving technological trends and integrates strong basic sciences, ethical principles, professional standards and outstanding clinical training
- Provide an intellectually stimulating environment where small class size and a large faculty of physicians, scientists and other health professionals unite to promote the scientific and humanitarian practice of medicine
- In order to graduate physicians who will:
- Provide service and demonstrate leadership within health care systems and within the community
- Serve as leaders of change to improve our health care system and delivery
- Advance the scientific foundations of medicine through leadership in basic, clinical and translational research
- Promote the role of the physician as educator-mentor and the importance of lifelong learning
- Foster resilience and wellness in themselves and others, demonstrating work-life integration and compassionate self-care and care of others
- Make altruistic career choices based on personal skills without the burden of excessive educational debt
- Have mastered the knowledge and skills required for diagnosis, patient management, health promotion, disease prevention and high-value health care
- Respect the importance of the patient as an individual as well as the needs of populations, and consistently practice evidence-based medicine and shared decision-making
- Work collaboratively within multidisciplinary health care teams
- Contribute to a diverse and culturally competent workforce
- Practice both the art and science of medicine, incorporating the highest ethical principles into their life and practice