Vision and Mission
For more than 100 years, Mayo Clinic has had an unwavering commitment to educating the next generation of health-care leaders.
Mayo Medical School uses the patient-centered focus and strengths of Mayo Clinic to educate aspiring physicians to serve society by assuming leadership roles in medical practice, education and research.
Mayo Medical School educates physician leaders in patient-centered, science-driven, team-based, high-value health care.
- Physician leaders. Physicians who excel in a wide variety of professional settings.
- Patient-centered. Building upon Mayo Clinic's unique model of patient-centered health care.
- Science-driven. Integrating excellence in traditional as well as new and emerging sciences with the science of health care delivery to accelerate discovery and improve health.
- Team-based. Working and studying in teams in preparation for interdisciplinary, team-based practice.
- High-value health care. Understanding and improving health care systems.
- Enroll an outstanding and diverse student body that has a strong foundation in the sciences and a demonstrated commitment to service and continuous learning
- Attract an outstanding and diverse faculty who understand and utilize the best principles of education to foster their professional development and to recognize and reward superior scholarship in education
- Provide a learner-centered curriculum that integrates strong basic sciences, ethical principles, professional standards and outstanding clinical training
- Provide an intellectually stimulating environment where small class size and a large faculty of physicians, investigators and educators unite to promote the scientific and humanitarian practice of medicine
- Graduate physicians who:
- Respect the importance of the patient as an individual
- Have mastered the knowledge and skills required for diagnosis, patient management, health promotion and disease prevention
- Desire to provide service and become leaders in medical practice, education and research
- Incorporate the highest ethical principles into their life and practice
- Affirm the value of medical research, the role of the physician as educator and the importance of lifelong learning
- Make altruistic career choices based on personal skills without the burden of excessive education debt