If you want to be a part of the outstanding advancement in today's biomedical research, and work with world-renowned faculty and leaders, and participate in research that has a direct impact on 21st century patient care, then you should consider the Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics Program (MPET) at Mayo Clinic in Rochester for your graduate training.
Why Consider MPET?
Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics is an exciting discipline that prepares you for success in today's biomedical research environment. The most successful biomedical scientists integrate across various disciplines to devise and answer important questions that will enhance our understanding of biology and impact the treatment of disease. The MPET program does exactly that, by training students to use biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, and genomics to develop new therapeutic approaches to treat human diseases.
What Distinguishes MPET?
Numerous factors should be taken into account when considering a graduate program; here are just a few distinguishing characteristics about MEPT that make us exceptional:
- Your research can make a difference in patient care - MPET students participate in a broad spectrum of research programs in the most advanced areas providing students with opportunities to perform basic research and participate in the translation of research findings into the clinical setting. Notably, we have many examples of student's research findings leading to new clinical trials or directly affecting patient care.
- Passionate mentors, colleagues, friends - MPET faculty mentors are passionate about teaching, committed to training graduate students in the classroom and the laboratory while engaging students in cutting-edge research programs, and dedicated to supporting the lifelong success of their students.
- Opportunities to publish - MPET students have published numerous, highly cited articles (an average of more than six articles for students who earn a Ph.D. or an M.D. Ph.D.).
- Small class size and high faculty-to-student ratio - With a class size of only 26 students, the MPET graduate education fosters relationships and supports student growth and development.
- Basic science and clinical research - Daily, MPET students have opportunities with world-class scientific investigators in facilities supported by the most advanced technologies available.
- Access to vast clinical and research resources of Mayo Clinic and its extensive health care system. MPET is arguably without peers in terms of the easy access our students have to a wealth of intellectual, technological, and biological research resources.
- Student successes - Upon completion of the Ph.D. training, MPET students advance to top-notch residency and postdoctoral positions at the most prestigious research institutions including Stanford, Baylor, University of Virginia, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, National Cancer Institute, and Memorial Sloan Kettering. Many former MPET students are now principal investigators in academia or industry including Emory, Louisiana State, Mayo Clinic, University of Minnesota, Amgen, and AstraZeneca.
I ask you to consider the MPET program and experience a unique, innovative, and exceptional training opportunity that will best prepare you for an exciting, productive, and rewarding career in biomedical science.
Larry M. Karnitz Ph.D.
Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental