- Apply online to Mayo Medical School through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Indicate through AMCAS your desire to apply for the Combined Medical Degree-Ph.D.
- A $120 application fee is required for Mayo Medical School; there is no additional Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) application fee.
- Applications are accepted from June 1 through Oct. 1.
- The MSTP does not have a secondary application, but you are sent an additional information form to complete and return to our office.
The MSTP requires a minimum of three and a maximum of five recommendation letters to complete your application. A Mayo M.D.-Ph.D. ratings sheet is required from each recommender. It is preferred that recommendation letters and ratings sheets be uploaded through the AMCAS website. However, items received via fax and U.S. mail (address below) are accepted until our application completion deadline of Oct. 15.
- Medical Scientist Training Program
- Attn: Lisa M. Hurley
Guggenheim Building, Room 2-24
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
- The review of your application occurs after all materials (AMCAS application, additional information form, recommendation letters, ratings sheets and application fee) are received.
- Mayo Graduate School strives to enhance its diversity and welcomes applications from diverse learners as outlined in our institutional diversity statement.
The MSTP interview process:
- Prospective students selected for an interview are contacted starting mid-November.
- Interview weekends are held in January and February.
- Interview travel expenses are reimbursed up to a predetermined limit.
- Acceptance of offer is required as outlined in the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) traffic rules.
Candidates invited for an interview attend one of our MSTP interview weekends. You receive an in-depth orientation to the program, participate in interviews with members of the MSTP Admissions Committee, and have the opportunity to meet one or two faculty members of your choice.
If you are not offered an interview for the MSTP, you may choose to be considered for the M.D.-only program.
Admissions offer and second visit
If you are offered admission, you may elect to make another visit to Rochester, Minn. During this second visit, you may meet additional potential thesis mentors or gather more information to help you decide among the programs to which you have been admitted.
Mayo Clinic pays travel expenses up to a predetermined limit for this visit.