Why Mayo Graduate School?
A unique fellowship funding model
Each student is awarded a guaranteed five-year internal fellowship, which includes full tuition, stipend and benefits. Unlike conventional graduate programs, the Mayo Graduate School fellowship funding model provides these features:
- Our students are "free agents" in selecting a mentor and achieving their Ph.D. degree.
- Our students are not required to work as teaching assistants.
- Our students are never concerned about unpredictable changes in mentor extramural grant funding because Mayo Graduate School guarantees funding to all students.
- Student tuition, stipend and benefit costs are never obstacles for mentors in accepting Ph.D. students into their research laboratories.
Outstanding research activity embedded within a premier medical center
Students have the opportunity to work on a wide range of fundamental and translational biomedical research projects in state-of-the-art research facilities.
In addition, students have access to clinical data from more than 6 million patient histories. This provides an invaluable resource in translational research that links research activities and the premier medical center of Mayo Clinic.
Exceptional faculty + small class size = committed mentorship
At Mayo Graduate School, approximately 150 Ph.D. and M.D.-Ph.D. candidates have easy access to more than 200 graduate faculty members. This low student-to-faculty ratio gives our students the opportunity for close collaboration with internationally recognized researchers who serve as thesis advisers. Smaller class sizes also allow our program to adapt easily to each student's background and interests.
Collaborative (not competitive) research and learning environment
The hallmark of research at Mayo Clinic and the Mayo Graduate School is the highly collaborative interaction that occurs between investigators in basic science and clinical areas.
While each Mayo Clinic investigator has a competitively funded independent laboratory staffed by postdoctoral fellows, graduate students and technicians, active collaborations with other research groups within the institution and other research centers are common.
Consequently, the thesis adviser shares student mentoring with others. Mayo Graduate School emphasizes shared resources and cooperation among research groups, allowing each student to follow his or her research, no matter what direction it takes.
Availability of unique career development internships and training
- Career development internships. Mayo Graduate School provides senior students with opportunities to network in a broad range of biomedical science careers. Students can explore research areas beyond those of their mentors or current projects.
- Training. Mayo Graduate School faculty and staff provide extensive training and resources in areas such as manuscript and grant writing, data presentation techniques, and public speaking.
Superb research opportunities at all Mayo Clinic campuses
Students have the opportunity to work with researchers at Mayo Clinic campuses in Rochester, Minn.; Jacksonville, Fla.; and Scottsdale, Ariz.
A nationally competitive Ph.D. degree completion time
Mayo Graduate School faculty and mentors are committed to ensuring that our students successfully complete and excel at their graduate studies. Our students complete the Ph.D. degree in an average of 5.25 years.
Excellent student outcomes
Since 1989, 87 percent of Mayo Graduate School graduates are employed in academia or industry. The school's outstanding reputation and our faculty's commitment to mentoring our students for a career in biomedical research ensure the success of our graduates.
Competitive diversity programs
Mayo Graduate School is proud of its decades-long national recognition as a center of excellence in the training of a diverse biomedical research workforce. Three long-standing competitive diversity training awards from the National Institutes of Health provide evidence of Mayo Graduate School's elite status.
Student diversity is a core value at Mayo Graduate School, supported by creative tactics personalized to drive successful research training. Find out more about Mayo Graduate School diversity initiatives.