Share on:

History

Drs. William and Charles Mayo, founders of Mayo Clinic, recognized that the highest-quality medical care is best delivered in an environment that fosters innovative biomedical research and educational programs. In doing so, they laid the groundwork for more than a century of excellence in medical practice, education and research.

Our home campus in Rochester, Minn., awarded its first Ph.D. in biochemistry in 1917. Until 1983, degree programs at Mayo were affiliated with the University of Minnesota. In 1983, Mayo Clinic became an independent, degree-granting institution accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools*. Mayo Graduate School became an independent school in 1989. Since then, about 25 new Ph.D. students and six M.D.-Ph.D. students have been admitted each year.

With an annual budget that now exceeds $525 million, research at Mayo Clinic has paralleled the growth of the graduate school. Mayo funds comprise 40 percent of this research budget; the remainder comes from outside support. Mayo provides strong support for scientists to obtain competitive funding from National Institute of Health, National Science Foundation and other public and private agencies.

*Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1413
800-621-7440; 312-263-0456; Fax: 312-263-7462

"The research we do today will determine the type of medical and surgical practice which we carry on at the clinic tomorrow." William J. Mayo, M.D.

  • ART033176