Prerequisites for the M.D. program:
- Citizenship. Applicants must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada at the time of application. Foreign nationals, regardless of visa status, are currently not eligible for admission to Mayo Medical School.
- Degree. All applicants must have a bachelor's or Pharm.D. degree from an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. A higher degree cannot be substituted for this requirement, and no exceptions will be made.
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Applicants must have a current MCAT exam (within three years of matriculation). Applications will not be reviewed until the most recent MCAT scores have been received by the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
All applicants must have these prerequisite courses completed by June 15 of the planned matriculation year:
- One year of biology and/or zoology (with one year of lab)
- One year of inorganic chemistry (with one year of lab)
- One year of organic chemistry (with one year of lab)
- One year of physics (with one year of lab)
- One course in biochemistry
Medical College Admission Test
The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is required of all applicants. Scores must be posted to the AMCAS application no later than Oct. 15 in order to be considered for the current application cycle. Only MCAT scores reported within three years of matriculation year are considered in admissions decisions.
For applicants with more than one MCAT, the most recent MCAT will be the test considered in preliminary review.
Information regarding this test and the procedures to be followed in reporting scores to medical schools may be obtained through college premedical advisory offices or by writing directly to:
- MCAT Program
- P.O. Box 4056
Iowa City, IA 52243-4056
- Phone: 319-337-1357
Factors included in the selection process are:
- Academic record
- MCAT score
- Community service involvement
- Leadership and research experience
- Health care exploration
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
June 30, 2016