The Mayo Clinic School of Medicine Admissions Committee, composed of current and retired Mayo Clinic staff, current administrators, residents and medical students, reviews all applications and utilizes a rolling admission process to offer appointments (acceptances) to the incoming class.
The committee considers these factors when selecting students:
- Academic performance
- MCAT score/percentile
- Depth and breadth of all experiences, including community and volunteer service, leadership and research, exposure to and exploration of medicine, artistic and athletic endeavors, and work experiences
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
The admissions process includes:
Review of American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) application
Beginning in early summer, the Mayo Clinic School of Medicine Admissions Committee begins reviewing all completed AMCAS applications, which must include:
- Online AMCAS application. Students can submit the application from June 1 to Oct. 1. No extensions will be granted.
- Transcripts. All academic transcripts must be submitted to AMCAS by Oct. 15. No extensions will be granted.
- Application processing/secondary fee. Students selected for secondary review will be required to pay a $120 processing fee by Nov. 15, unless granted a fee waiver by AMCAS. No extensions will be granted.
- Letters of recommendation. Mayo Clinic School of Medicine will request letters of recommendation from applicants selected for final review and interview consideration. Letters can be submitted prior to this request, but will not be reviewed until the request has been formally made by the chair of the Admissions Committee. Review Mayo Clinic School of Medicine letters of recommendation requirements and submit letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letter Service by Nov. 15.
Significant experiential updates will be accepted after an applicant has been invited for an on-campus interview. No updates will be accepted prior to this time. These brief updates should be a paragraph or less within the text of an email to the Admissions Office. PDF updates and other attachments will not be processed.
We do not require or accept any updates to transcripts or grades. No materials should be mailed to the Admissions Office unless specifically requested. Applicants should not call the Admissions Office to check on application status.
Invitations for on-campus interviews
Interview invitations are emailed August through November. Interviews are conducted from early September through mid-December. Offers of acceptance (appointments) will be made from the group of applicants selected for interviews. Initial offers of acceptance will typically be made through the end of January.
The waitlist will be created by the end of February. Offers of acceptance from the waitlist will be made until the first day of class in mid-July.
Nov. 09, 2015