You are eligible to participate in the surgical technology training rotation at Mayo Clinic if you are enrolled in an affiliated surgical technology program. Arrangements may be made through your program director.
You must successfully complete the required pre-professional and professional college course work before you are eligible to begin the surgical technology rotation.
In addition to meeting general admissions standards, surgical technologists also must:
- Have good manual dexterity to handle instruments quickly
- Be conscientious, orderly and emotionally stable to handle the demands of the operating room environment
- Be quick to respond and know procedures well to have instruments ready for surgeons
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field
- Wear protective masks, gloves and goggles
- Be able to work long periods standing
- Work well under pressure
Hours and other working conditions of surgical technologists vary according to the size and type of employment setting. In large hospitals or independent laboratories that operate continuously, personnel usually work the day, evening or night shift and may work weekends and holidays.
See further Mayo School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.
Sept. 26, 2013