The Surgical Technology Internship prerequisites are determined by the standards set by the affiliated surgical technology program. You must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED certificate
Admission is based on academic performance and other criteria. Students are accepted once a year in the fall term.
Once you are enrolled in an affiliated surgical technology program, you are eligible to participate in the Surgical Technology Internship at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, by making arrangements through your college program director.
However, you must successfully complete the required program course work before you are eligible to complete the Surgical Technology Internship.
Surgical technologists must:
- Have good manual dexterity to handle instruments quickly
- Be conscientious, orderly and emotionally stable to handle the demands of the operating room environment
- Be quick to respond and know procedures well to have instruments ready for surgeons
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field
- Wear protective masks, gloves and goggles
- Be able to work long periods while standing
- Work well under pressure
Non-U.S. citizen applicants
See the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences non-U.S. citizen applicants policy.
See further Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.
Feb. 07, 2017