The Surgical Technology program prerequisites are determined by GateWay Community College. Review the Surgical Technology program information and application packet.
In addition to certain health care, biology and math courses, you must have a:
- High school diploma or GED
- Current health care provider CPR card
Admission is based on academic performance and other criteria. Students are accepted once each year in the fall term.
Once you are enrolled in the Surgical Technology program at GateWay, you are eligible to participate in the Surgical Technology Clinical Rotation at Mayo Clinic by making arrangements through your college program director. You must successfully complete the required program coursework before you are eligible to complete the surgical technology rotations.
In addition to meeting general standards, surgical technologists must:
- Have good manual dexterity to handle instruments quickly
- Be conscientious, orderly and emotionally stable to handle the demands of the operating room environment
- Be quick to respond and know procedures well to have instruments ready for surgeons
- Keep abreast of new developments in the field
- Wear protective masks, gloves and goggles
- Be able to work long periods standing
- Work well under pressure
Hours and other working conditions of surgical technologists vary, according to the size and type of employment setting. In large hospitals, personnel usually work the day, evening or night shift and may work weekends and holidays.
See further Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.
April 19, 2016