The Recreational Therapy Internship prepares individuals for professional practice in hospitals, clinics and private practice.
Through your patient care responsibilities and clinical experiences, the internship enables you to:
- Understand the principles and methods of laboratory testing in the treatment of patients with physical disabilities
- Establish and maintain rapport with patients with diverse needs and backgrounds
- Function as a dynamic member of the patient care team
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Manage and organize time
- Utilize available resources within Mayo Clinic and the surrounding community
- Practice as an entry-level therapist
Educational sessions covering current trends in recreational therapy are periodically offered with student participation welcomed. These learning experiences may include lectures, workshops, in-service training, case studies, field trips and informal discussions.
Grading or evaluation
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences uses evaluative tools that include:
- Demonstration of skills
- Self-assessment exercises
- Faculty reviews
Mayo Clinic's system of evaluation provides students and faculty with a comprehensive look at individual performance. This allows faculty and administrative staff to direct students who are experiencing academic difficulty to the appropriate support resources, including tutoring programs and counseling opportunities.
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences is committed to developing and maintaining the best education programs. The curriculum and other aspects of this program are assessed constantly and changed as necessary to ensure the highest quality training.
July 25, 2017