Massage Therapy Continuing Education
The Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Course offers a unique opportunity for professional massage therapists to enhance their skills and advance their practice in the acute care hospital setting. This is a two-month, three-module course led by Mayo Clinic faculty.
The course provides:
- A comprehensive review of therapeutic relationship building
- Treatment planning
- Team-based approaches to integrative health care
- Scope of practice
- Navigation and documentation of medical records
The in-depth discussions, hands-on training and interactive sessions are geared to increase knowledge, performance and patient outcomes. In turn, this course allows participants to experience self-exploration.
In the first month, participants complete course content using Blackboard, an online learning management system. The second month includes 40 hours of didactic learning at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota. The schedule for this portion runs daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A 25-hour internship component is also part of the second course month.
Next course: Fall 2017
- May 12, 2017: Last day to apply
- Sept. 11-29, 2017: Online learning
- Oct. 2-6, 2017: Classroom didactic in Rochester, Minnesota
- Oct. 9, 2017 to November 2017: Shadowing onsite in Rochester, Minnesota (specific dates to be determined)
The course tuition is $1,100, which includes course materials (excluding the textbook) and educational credits. Learn more about course costs.
How to apply
Eligible applicants must be professional massage therapists who have completed a 500-hour-minimum massage therapy program. Learn more and apply now.
The Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Course is a two-month course offered twice a year — typically spring and fall. A maximum of 12 students a class ensures close one-on-one instruction.
Course curriculum includes:
- Medical terminology and documentation
- Working with the hospitalized patient
- Establishing therapeutic relationships
- Experiential learning series
- Integrative medicine toolbox series
- Specialty integrative medicine practices
- Simulation learning environments
The curriculum is taught using various instruction modalities, including the Blackboard online learning management system, formal lectures, hands-on participation, experiential learning with the Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Center, and an internship in the Mayo Clinic hospital setting. See more details on our curriculum.
This program is certified by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB). As an NCBTMB-approved program, the Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Course meets continuing education recertification and credit requirements.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world with advanced research and education facilities. Take a virtual tour.
- Debra (Deb) L. Blomberg
- Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Program Director
- Email: email@example.com
- Sairey Vitek
- Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Associate Program Director
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org