Two cohorts are accepted on a competitive basis each year into the Histology Technician Program. Classes begin in late August and early January.
The August cohort is composed of six students at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota. The January cohort is composed of six students at the Rochester campus and one student at Mayo Clinic's campus in Scottsdale, Arizona.
In the application, candidates have the option to select where they prefer to do their clinical work (Rochester or Scottsdale). Rochester applicants also select which start date they prefer (August or January), though appointment to their preferred start date is not guaranteed.
How to apply
Applications for both cohorts are accepted beginning Nov. 1.
Your application and all supporting documentation must be received by:
- March 1 for the August 2018 cohort
- July 17 for the January 2019 cohort
Applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Online application. Complete the online Application for Admission. After you create an account or log in, select Application for Admission. Do not select Lite Application.
Choose the following:
- Mayo campus: Minnesota or Arizona
- Program type: Histology Technician Program
- Program name: Select from Histology Technician Program August (MN), Histology Technician Program January (MN) or Histology Technician Program (AZ)
- Start date
A nonrefundable $50 application fee is required and payable by credit card via the online application.
- Supporting documentation. Submit these materials:
Official transcripts of all college and university credits. Do not submit high school transcripts. Transcripts must be received in the original sealed envelope from the school and can be submitted to:
Histology Technician Program
Attn: Jennifer L. Busch
Stabile Building, Room 3-64
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
- A goal statement or personal essay based on the questions listed in the online application for admission.
- Three references (suggested sources include work-related, education-related and personal references). You need to provide the names and email addresses of your references as part of the online application. Those individuals are automatically invited to complete an online recommendation form.
- Interviews. The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for an appointment are invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, or Scottsdale, Arizona, for a personal interview with the program director and selected interview committee members. The interview process includes a behavioral interview, computer skills analysis, interaction with faculty members and a tour of the facility. It typically lasts two to three hours.
- Acceptance. Appointment letters are emailed. If you receive an appointment letter, your reply is expected within 10 days. Your appointment to the program is dependent upon successful completion of the health review and background check.
Oct. 28, 2017