Two candidates are accepted on a competitive basis each winter/spring for the Child Life Specialist Internship, which runs from January through April.
How to apply
Your application and all supporting documentation must be postmarked by Sept. 5, 2017. We subscribe to the dates and deadlines recommended by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP):
- Application deadline: Sept. 5, 2017
- Initial offer: First Tuesday of October (Oct. 10, 2017)
- Acceptance from student: The following Wednesday of the initial offer date (Oct. 11, 2017)
All application materials must be postmarked by stated deadlines.
A completed internship application includes the following:
- ACLP Common Child Life Internship Application.
- Official copies of transcripts from all attended institutions.
- A copy of the Eligibility Assessment from ACLP. Strong candidates will have completed the required coursework prior to beginning the internship.
- Two letters of recommendation from the following sources:
- Child life volunteer supervisor.
- Practicum supervisor.
- Individual who has observed your work with children.
- Documentation of experience:
- 100 hours: experience with well infants, children or teens (work or volunteer accepted).
- 100 hours, minimum: volunteer experience in a hospital or clinic setting serving pediatric patients.
- At medical camps, child care settings or classroom settings. These experiences are valuable and should be included.
- Letter of intent that includes the following information about yourself:
- Goals for the internship.
- Special talents, abilities, interests, attributes.
Please send your completed application packet to:
To confirm receipt of application materials, please send your submissions via certified U.S. mail, FedEx or UPS, all of which provide tracking options.
July 17, 2017