This clerkship takes place at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale and the Mayo Clinic Hospital, Phoenix, Arizona. Students see patients in the clinic with a consulting physician, make rounds in the hospital, and scrub for surgery. Students are not expected to be on call, so their evenings and weekends are available for independent study.
- Become acquainted with surgical principles, sterile techniques and operative techniques.
- Learn the principles of basic wound care.
- Improve knowledge base as it pertains to plastic, reconstructive, and hand surgery.
- Become familiar with the scope of plastic surgery.
- Become competent in the examination of hand surgery problems.
Students attend clinics and assist with plastic surgery procedures. They also are responsible for making an oral presentation on a selected topic at the end of the elective.
Method of evaluation
Consultants who work with students provide written performance evaluations.