The experiences in this clerkship take place primarily on the Mayo Clinic Scottsdale campus in the Division of Radiation Oncology. Additional training may occur at Mayo Clinic Hospital. The clerkship offers an introduction to radiation therapy.
- Become familiar with the field of radiation oncology.
- Improve skills in performing an oncologic evaluation.
- Evaluate and recommend a treatment plan for patients referred to radiation oncology.
- Order necessary diagnostic tests and procedures for evaluating cancer patients.
- Assist in formulating treatment plans for patients following review of X-rays, laboratory tests and physical examination results.
- Participate in the simulation or localization of radiation fields on the radiation therapy simulator.
- Follow-up patients and assist those receiving radiation to understand the potential benefits and side effects of their treatment.
Students are supervised directly by the consultant in radiation oncology. Students assist in evaluating cancer patients, ordering tests, and procedures. During their clerkship, students assist both the technologist and radiation oncologist in simulating treatment fields in preparation for radiation therapy.
Students assist with and participate in procedures performed in the hospitals (e.g., brachytherapy).
Method of evaluation
Consultants who work with students provide written performance evaluations.